2022 CANTON ISD GENERAL ELECTION INFORMATION
The Canton ISD School Board of Trustees are comprised of seven members who are elected to serve a term of three years. Elections are held annually on the May uniform election date and will be held at the Old Canton City Hall, 290 East Tyler, Canton, Texas 75103.
Board seats are filled by position and in the following order:
|Elected Officers of Political Subdivision||Position||Year Elected Officer's Term Expires|
|Mr. Matthew Dunn||Position 1||2024, 2027, 2030, 2033, 2036|
|Mr. Kenneth Pruitt||Position 2||2024, 2027, 2030, 2033, 2036|
|Mr. Jack Thelen||Position 3||2022, 2025, 2028, 2031, 2034|
|Mrs. Julie Stern||Position 4||2022, 2025, 2028, 2031, 2034|
|Mr. Clay Nicklas||Position 5||2022, 2025, 2028, 2031, 2034|
|Mr. Josh Wilkerson||Position 6||2023, 2026, 2029, 2032, 2035|
|Dr. Leslea Evans||Position 7||2023, 2026, 2029, 2032, 2035|
The Canton ISD School Board Trustee General Election is scheduled for Saturday, May 7, 2022. The General Election will be to elect three School Board Trustees to fill Position 3, Position 4, and Position 5 for a term of three (3) years. To be elected, a candidate must receive a plurality of votes, therefore, the candidates receiving the most votes will win the position.
Applications to file for a Position on the Canton ISD School Board Trustee General Election may be obtained at the Canton ISD Administration Office, 1045 South Buffalo, Canton, Texas 75103 or on the Texas Secretary of State website www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/index.shtml. Applications must be signed under oath before a Notary and must be received in the Administration Office between 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, January 19, 2022, through Friday, February 18, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. Candidates, are also required to appoint a campaign treasurer and file the form with the Canton ISD Election Administrator prior to collecting or spending any funds on his/her campaign. These and other required forms may also be obtained at the CISD Administration Office or on the Texas Ethics Commission website www.ethics.state.tx.us.
According to the Texas Election Code, an individual is eligible to be a candidate for, elected, or appointed to, a Texas School if the individual:
- Is a United States citizen;
- Is 18 years of age on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- Has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate of jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated with the right to vote;
- Has not been finally convicted of a felon from which the individual has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
- Has resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately proceeding the following dates:
- for an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate's application for a place on the ballot;
- for a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate's name is written in; or
- for an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
- is registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described at 5 above; and
- satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
Applications may be delivered in person, by email at [email protected], or by fax at 903-567-2370.
Canton ISD Administration Office serves as your filing authority and must maintain neutrality in the electoral process. Any questions on reporting procedures, contributions, or expenditures should be addressed to the Texas Ethics Commission at 1-800-325-8506 or 512-463-5800, or online at the www.ethics.state.tx.us. You may direct questions about election laws to the Secretary of State at 1-800-252-8683 or 512-463-5650, or go online at www.sos.state.tx.us.
Application for Ballots by Mail will be received starting January 1, 2022 - April 26, 2022 (received). The deadline for Ballots by Mail is May 7, 2022.
Last day to register to vote is Thursday, April 7, 2022
Early voting in person will be conducted from April 25, 2022 - May 3, 2022.
Any question pertaining to elections may be addressed to Stacie Wilkerson, Secretary to the Superintendent at 903-567-4179 or by email [email protected].
Any additional election information will be posted here on our website at www.cantonisd.com.